This week, the rear suspension was dismantled, the finishes on the trailing arms and half-shafts were corrected, and then it was all put back together. The old leaf spring was also rebuilt: The main leaf and plastic separators were replaced, and the old leaves were cleaned of rust and repainted (see below for before and after shots). With the suspension complete, we could finally put the wheels back on and get the chassis back on the ground for the first time in about a year. Of course, before we put the wheels back on, they were cleaned up and given a fresh coat of paint (semi-flat black on the inside and Argent silver on the outside). Unfortunately, upon inspection, we discovered that the wheels that we got with the car are for a 1971-2 Corvette (code AZ with date code K-1-1). Thus, the search begins for a proper set of code AG wheels for our July 68 car. Next up for the chassis will be the gas tank, fuel lines, brake lines, and the various chassis markings (shim numbers, etc). Work on the body will also begin soon; the first task will be to get the body ready for soda blasting.
12/17/05 Suspension restoration complete